A simple switch. Warm and cosy, to freakin’ cold and death-like.
Every morning when stepping into my cold shower, my brain fires up the same question – How can this possibly be good for me?!
It’s painful- it is. But it’s worth it.
As you have probably heard, cold showers are incredibly beneficial in many ways: increased alertness, increased muscle recovery, increased weight-loss, and improved mental resilience- to name a few.
Today, we’re going to dive into the hormonal benefits of cold showers.
In particular, testosterone.
And women don’t get put off! Increased testosterone will not give you a female Derek Poundstone-like appearance. Unless you are seriously supplementing…
Why would anyone want increased testosterone levels?
Here’s a list:
- Improved heart health and circulation
- Increased muscle synthesis
- Increased metabolism
- Increased bone-density
- Better mood
- Higher libido
- Improves sleep
- And there’s even some evidence suggesting that higher testosterone improves your memory
*When naturally increased*
What’s not to love?
It’s ideal that one simple switch, which doesn’t take up any extra time in the day, can yield so many health benefits.
So let’s look at some of the research behind this painfully-beneficial-little-health-hack:
- In 1993 a study was conducted by the Thrombosis Research Institution of England which identified a correlation between individuals who take cold showers regularly and higher testosterone levels.
- In this study we can see how sperm concentration, quality and motility is higher in the colder months of the year.
- In another study where rats were exposed to temperatures of 43 °C for 15 minutes, there testosterone levels significantly dropped compared to the control group.
- This one’s not hard-evidence, but here’s a video of Paul Chek discussing the benefits of cold showers and how they “improve your sex life”.
There’s also tonnes of personal anecdotes online, all telling the same story: how taking cold showers is so beneficial to your lifestyle by boosting your testosterone and giving you all the benefits listed above.
James Bond took cold showers, Jonny Wilkinson did too…
Maybe it’s time we all took a cold shower- that is, if you have a licence to chill?
Sorry, that was terrible…
What have your experiences with cold showers/ice baths been like?
Do you agree with the research?
Because there’s a lot of controversy online about whether the claims are over-hyped.
Testing cold showers out is a great idea even if you’re doubtful.
You never know until you try.